THE PROBLEM OF WORLD RELIGIONS
HOW DID WE GET SO MANY OTHER RELIGIONS?
- There are different to God/enlightenment, but each religion leads to the same destination.
- Each religion possesses of the truth, so together, they tell the whole story.
- All religions worship the same God, but ________.
- The Christian answer:
- The image of God in man means that man cannot help but .
- The fall of man mean that unbelievers exchange the reality for an image and thereby create their own religions.
UNDERSTANDING DIFFERENT TYPES OF RELIGIONS
The Nature of the Divine
- Most Asian religions, animism, and the ancient Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Babylonian religions teach polytheism, the existence of__________ .
- These gods are ________, but not .
- Judaism, Islam, and Mormonism, on the other hand teach that God is one .
- Muslims have a god who is , but not .
- Only in Christianity do we have a God who is absolute and personal.
The Nature of Man and Salvation
- In most of the Asian religions, man is ______and a spawn of the gods.
- Man finds his______ in having a spark of the divine within himself, or else he is just as much god as anything else.
- One problem is that these supposed divine humans commit _______.
- In Islam and Judaism man is created but not made in the image of God.
- In Islam there is no _________ and no with Allah.
- Only in Christianity do we have assurance in this life of what happens in the next.
EFFECTIVE APOLOGETICS WITH RELIGIOUS PEOPLE
- You don’t have to know anything about their religion if you take the time to listen to what they believe.
- Look for inconsistencies in their religious worldview. Example: karma.
- Look for ways that their humanity conflicts with their religion.
- Love them, show hospitality, pray in front of them. Talk about your relationship with God. Talk about the forgiveness of God.
QUESTIONS TO ASK TO CHALLENGE ADHERENTS OF OTHER RELIGIONS:
- Does the religion believe in a deity?
- Is there only one deity or multiple deities?
- Is the deity personal or impersonal?
- Is the deity absolute in its power and being?
- Has the deity revealed itself? In what way?
- What is the deity’s relation to the universe? Transcendent or immanent?
- Is the universe the way it should be, or not?
- What is the nature of the human being?
- Are there such things as good and evil, right and wrong?
- Are people basically good or bad?
- If there is evil/sin/brokenness, is redemption available?
- Can a person gain assurance and full possession of redemption/enlightenment in this life?
- What will be the end of all things?
- Is there any kind of future judgment?
- How to explain the existence of other religions?
- Is culture necessarily tied to the religion or is it universal?
- Does this religion have grounds to consistently oppose evils such as oppression and genocide?
- Would adherents participate in the resistance to oppression and genocide?