Part 5: Ephesus, The Church That Fell Out of Love – Revelation 2:1-7
Prequel: Why these seven churches?
1. So that we could not misdate the book
2. They represent the church of all time
3. He wanted to address individuals in the church
• The Correspondent, (the one who is writing the letter)
• The Church, (the one He is writing to)
• The City, (where the church existed)
• The Commendation, (what is good about the church)
• The Condemnation, (what is bad about the church)
• The Command, (what should be done about the church)
• The Counsel, (instruction to anyone who will heed it)
I. THE CORRESPONDENT
II. THE CHURCH
John 14:6 (NASB) 6 Jesus said* to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
III. THE CITY
Acts 19:24 (NASB) 24 For a man named Demetrius, a silversmith, who made silver shrines of Artemis, was bringing no little business to the craftsmen;
The morals of the temple were worse than the morals of animals because even dogs do not mutilate each other. – Heraclitus
IV. THE COMMENDATION
a. They were a diligent church
b. They were a dedicated church
c. They were a steadfast church
1 Corinthians 5:6 Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough?
d. They were a disciplined church
Ephesians 4:27 (NASB) and do not give the devil an opportunity.
Acts 20:28-29 “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. (29) “I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock;
e. They were a discerning church
f. They were a devoted church
V. THE CONDEMNATION
Your first love you have left
Ephesians 1:15 (NASB) For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints,
VI. THE COMMAND
a. They need to remember
b. They need to repent
Matthew 22:37 (NASB) You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
c. They need to re-do
d. They could be removed
VII. THE COUNSEL
1 John 5:5 Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? “If you’ve left your first love, remember what it was, repent, and return.”